SAXIANA-ADOLPHESAX LIVE STREAMING SOLO SAXOPHONE COMPETITION
SOLO COMPETITION: 11th and 12th February 2021 (10 am to 21h European time)
DUO COMPETITION: 15th February 2021 (11am to 17h European time)
Choose one piece from the List (one or several mouvements : maximum duration 6 minutes) & one free piece of your choice: solo or with piano/CD accompaniment (all styles: transcription or original – jazz and improvisation excluded)
Whole performance duration : 15 minutes maximum.
The jury will assess the skills of saxophonists in relation to their age.
– Karol Beffa: obsession (solo) – Billaudot
– Paul Bonneau: caprice en forme de valse (solo) – Leduc
– Eugène Bozza: improvisation et caprice (solo) – Leduc
– Barry Cockcroft: beat me / rock me / ku ku (solo) – reedmusic.com
– Simon Diricq: l’effet de coriolis (solo) – simondiricq.com
– Philippe Geiss: xiwind (solo) – Billaudot
– Philipp Glass: melodies for saxophone (solo) – Chester
– Victor Herbiet: les quatre elements (solo) – Billaudot
– Philippe Hersant: chant hassidique (solo) – Durand
– Sigfrid Karg-Elert: atonal sonata (solo) – Southern
– Christian Lauba 1 etude : partyta / pent / arak / salsa (solo) – Resolute
– Emmanuel Lerouge: présence (+soundtrack) – lerouge-music.com
– Robert Lemay: B film (solo) – Resolute music publications
– Marin Marais Album (solo) – Lemoine
– Jean-Denis Michat: roadbook 1 (solo) – jdmichat.com
– Ryo Noda: Maï / Yume (solo) – Leduc
– Jeanine Rueff: sonate (solo) – Leduc
– David Salleras: mi bailaora (solo) – Resolute music publications
– Giacinto Scelsi: Xor / Maknongan / Tre pezzi (solo) – Salabert
– Gerald Shapiro: breath etude (solo) – Billaudot
– Andy Scott: home / westland (solo) – Astute music
– Jacob TV: buku (+ soundtrack) – Boomboxshop.net
– Jennifer Watson: deconstruct (+ soundtrack) – Astute music
– Pascal Zavaro: rush (solo) – Billaudot
Choose one piece from the List (one or several mouvements : maximum duration 6 minutes) & one free piece of your choice : duo without accompaniment (all styles : transcription or original – jazz and improvisation excluded)
Whole performance duration : 15 minutes maximum
The jury will assess the skills of saxophonists in relation to their age
– Ondrej Adamek: inflexion (AA) – Billaudot
– Gilles Cagnard: 13 duos en polymodalité (AA) – Billaudot
– Olivier Calmel: three views of a duet (SB)- lafabrikanotes.fr
– Barry Cockcroft: blow down (AA) – reedmusic.com
– Christoph Enzel: 2/2 (SS) – Chili notes
– Philippe Geiss: looking glass (ST) – philippegeiss.com
– Victor Herbiet: paris rush (SA) – Billaudot
– Paul Hindemith: konzertstuck (AA) – Schott
– Gordon Jacob: saxophone duo (SA) – Emerson
– Betsy Jolas: scat (AA) – Leduc
– Charles Koechlin: 24 duos (SS/AA) – Billaudot
– Christian Lauba: ars (cahier 3) (SS) – Leduc
– Robert Lemay: Deuce (AA) –Resolute music publications
– Marc Mellits: black (SS/AA/TT/BB) – marcmellits.com
– Nicolas Prost: 4 crazy etudes (AA/SS/TT/BB) – Klarthe
– David Salleras: la dernière nuit (ST or AB) – Resolute
Applications: Deadline 28 December 2020
Video recording: from 30 December to 22 January 2021 (Check the article.7)
Video sending : from 23 to 31 January
Live Streaming: from 11 to 15 February.
Jury deliberation (private): from 16 to 18 February.
Results: Sunday 21 February 2021 to be announced online
RULES AND REGULATIONS
Article 1. Saxiana Association and Adolphesax.com organize the Online Saxiana International Competition. The competition takes place entirely on Internet. Instrument : Saxophone
Article 2. The competition is open to contestants of all nationalities. The program corresponding to Classical, Contemporary and Popular eras is to be performed in its entirety.
Article 3. The contestants will be judged solely on the submitted recordings. *Category Solo – born in 1994 and younger. *Category Duet – born in 1990 and younger
Article 4. Category SOLO : 45 euros / Category DUET: 50 euros
Fees are payable through PayPal (address: firstname.lastname@example.org) Please create a PayPal account if necessary; in the case you opt for a bank transfer, please contact us by email: email@example.com
Article 5. Repertoire : Free choice in a compulsory List and Free choice of a piece from the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern/Contemporary periods or Popular (jazz excluded): The performance should be: for Solo Category with or without piano, or solo instrument with soundtrack for Duet Category 2 saxophones without accompaniment.
The total length of the video recording must be limited to the following duration : up to 15 minutes.
Article 6. Participants must submit 2 video recordings (one per piece). Audio-only recordings will not be accepted. Video files must be performed by the applicants and must not be edited in any way, nor should any effects be added. Participants are responsible for ensuring that the video is recorded with good quality (image and sound). Be aware that poor recording quality may interfere with the jury’s ability to review the material. It is suggested to avoid distortion and, in case of solo with CD, ensure that the accompaniment is not louder than the applicant. Participants will not be penalized for the quality of their video, but it is very important that the quality should be good enough to see and hear the participant clearly. The method of sending videos will be communicated to each participant 1 week before the date. Copy of sheet music in PDF format (piece chosen from the list & free choice piece) must be sent in the same moment directly to the competition email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Article 7. The Video have to be recorded especially for this Competition. During recording, saxophonist contestant will announce clearly his name, the title of the piece and the name of the composer before playing. All participants will receive a secret word to certify that the recording was done during the established period. All participants must say the secret word in their recordings. If not, the applicant might be disqualified without notice and his/her application shall be treated as null and void.
Article 8. Registration is to be done exclusively through email email@example.com
Participants will be requested to send the following informations :
NAME + FIST NAME + NATIONALITY + AGE + CATEGORY and PROGRAM CHOSEN +ADDRESS + EMAIL and PHONE CONTACT and copy of Passeport or Identity card.
Article 9. By participating in the competition, competitors automatically waive the right to any remuneration regarding eventual publication and distribution of music video recordings on CD, DVD, or any type of online publication of the media.
Article 10. Three qualified judges will be evaluating the audition materials.
The work of the Jury is regulated by special Rules. Jury members are selected from a pool of renowned performing saxophonists and pedagogues.
All judges’ decisions are final. Participants may receive feedback from the judges, via email, upon request sent an email message to the competition: firstname.lastname@example.org
Article 11. Copyrights. The Organizer reserves all rights for any kind of audio-video broadcast during the Competition without any compensation to the candidates. By applying to the Competition, the candidate agrees to have his/her personal information (name, last name, date and place of birth, musical training, etc.) published on the official website, the Facebook page, the program booklets and other promotional material of the Competition.
All participants videos will be live-streamed during the established period (also by adolphesax.com) All videos will also published recorded once the competition will be over.
Article 12. Prizes are to be awarded to the competitor with a Diploma.
Certificate of Participation is to be awarded to all the competitors upon request. The Winners will get their picture and name published on the website saxiana.com under the title “Winner of The Online Saxiana International Competition”
Article 13. Private and public institutions, as well as business corporations or individuals, are in agreement with the organizers award Prizes.
Article 14. The organization reserves the right to cancel the competition in the event of an insufficient number of competitors.
Article 15. By applying to the competition, participants automatically accept all the conditions and rules of the online music competition. No refund will be possible after registration.
ARNO BORNKAMP (NL)
NICOLAS PROST (FR)
KENNETH TSE (USA)